Wednesday, March 16, 2005

What a Difference 7300 Days Make

Spring break was fun when I was college kid. Three guys burning through southern Mississippi in ’77 Mercury Marquis that had seen better days with a giant box of cassette tapes, and a giant cooler. After a stop to chat with the fine police of Dothan, AL we were on to the Ft. Lauderdale strip…it was a hell of a week and it’s all a blur now. Twenty years later I have kids that are on spring break this week and if they don’t go back to school soon I may run out of Duck Tape or patience.

The thing I remember most about that spring break trip (besides the marginally decent looking chick from UGA) was the music. Good crankin’ tunes that made driving all night a breeze. Everything from “Southern Fried” to “Heavy Metal” to a brand new guitar player from Austin, TX. When I was making my coffee this morning I turned on the radio and had quite the flashback. SRV was a bad mofo…so was Randy Rhodes, for different reasons of course.

I sure am hearing nice buzz on the streets about “98.1 The Worst Kept Secret in Memphis Radio History”. People I have not heard from in years are calling and e-mailing like they just won the lottery.

I said this was going to be fun. It will only get better in the next few days. Have a great St. Patrick’s Day puking up green beer and put Drake or the country of France on your prayer list.

6 Comments:

Blogger frederic said...

cool picture, man!

March 16, 2005 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Drake hall said...

You my nigga and your turban's
gettin' bigga.....

March 17, 2005 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger t-roy said...

the "worst kept secret" is gonna be the only thing that can bring memphis out of the radio hell that has become common place and acceptable in no small thanks to the ron olsons and timmy spencers spewwing out their lame attempts of humor or twisted political views.most of us are so thankful for what you two are doing that we would "follow you to the gates of hell" if i may quote christopher from the sopranos.but...your show will still suck.we hope.take it light.

March 17, 2005 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger SpankyJ said...

Holy Shit this is awesome!! I can see it now...Concerts coming back to Mud Island, something to listen to on the radio(and not the stardard 200 songs!), midgets, pyro, Shetland ponies, strippers missing there right thumbs, lasers, dogs and cats living together, and an erection for every man and a warm greeting for every women....I'm going to need a job application Zeke.

March 17, 2005 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger lectricdog said...

Oh my God! B.B.for one solid hour!You are the man for sure now.I could'nt tell you the last time I heard so many album sides,and Arlo two days in a row!Gee,I wonder who that jab was pointed towards.But surely and sadly things can't remain forever.I mean this has to be a teaser just to get our attention right?It really does'nt matter as long as you keep the general play list.I think it SUCKS wonderfully!Sorry but I almost wish it would stay like this but I know you need a real job.Keep our balls to the wall with that heavy metal noise!

March 19, 2005 at 4:38 AM  
Blogger bassduder said...

I'm really diggin' the new format! It's so refreshing to hear music I've never heard before from artists I may or may not recognize. I have my alarm clock set to 98.1, and I knew something was up when "Woodpecker from Mars" by Faith No More blew me out of my bed!! It's awesome that is switches from classic rock to modern rock to heavy metal, and I think the artist block format is a good idea. Please continue the fight against predictable corporate radio!

March 21, 2005 at 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home